Our mission is to unlock life’s potential for young adults with autism.
Located in Charlotte, North Carolina, Autism After 18 was created to help young adults with autism progress toward independent lives, whether in terms of socialization, education or starting careers. The organization was started by Margaret and Erik Neelsen, whose son Ryan is a high school senior with autism.
Five Keys to Independence
We believe that supporting these five keys to independence will help such young adults toward successful, independent lives.
1. Nurture relationships and friendships
2. Foster learning, for classroom and real-life situation.
3. Facilitate professional opportunities
4. Educate our communities about autism
5. Identify unique talents and embrace differences among young adults with autism